Storm Information and Preparedness
The Cosumnes Fire Department encourages residents to prepare for winter storms. Use the following resources to find out what you can do to prepare and protect yourself, your family, and your property during storms and floods. If you haven’t already, sign up for Sacramento Emergency Alerts.
Be Prepared for Floods and Rain
Report Storm-Related Hazards
- Report flooding:
- Sacramento County Water Resources: 311
- Report fallen trees or limbs to Cosumnes CSD Park Maintenance Hotline: 916-405-5688
- Report roadway hazards to City of Elk Grove Public Works: 916-687-3005
- Report downed power lines to 911 then SMUD at 1-888-456-7683
- Avoid driving during the worst part of the storm.
- Do not drive through standing water - turn around, don't drown!
- Check on current road conditions.
- See current road and lane closures in Sacramento County.
- Find out what specific natural hazards have been identified in your area/neighborhood.
- View up-to-the-minute weather forecasts from the National Weather Service.
- Sign up to receive Sacramento Emergency Alerts, such as flooding, levee failures, and severe weather.
- Sacramento County Storm Updates
Get Help from Utilities
- SMUD: 1-888-456-7683 to report an outage
- PG&E: 1-800-743-5000 to report an outage
- Elk Grove Water District: 916-685-3556
- Sacramento County Water Agency: 916-875-7246
- Elk Grove Utilities: 916-478-3642
- Sacramento County Consolidated Utilities: 916-875-5555
During storm events and high wind, avoid being under or around trees. When visiting parks and trails, be aware of your surroundings and avoid storm debris, downed trees, and fallen limbs. Watch out for maintenance crews as they continue to clean up after the storms.
- Cosumnes Fire on Twitter
- National Weather Service-Sacramento on Twitter
- California Governor's Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) on Twitter
- Sacramento Ready
- American Red Cross
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- California Emergency Management Agency (Cal EMA)
- Sacramento County Environmental Management (Disaster Preparation & Response)