The First Fire Departments
The roots of the Cosumnes Community Services District Fire Department date back to 1893 following a series of disastrous fires that destroyed all but two buildings on Main Street.
A small group of dedicated volunteers formed the Elk Grove Fire Department with their fund-raising events and a single hose cart.
The all-volunteer Galt Fire Protection District formed in 1921.
The Cosumnes Fire Department is the product of two mergers.
The first, in 1985, combined the Elk Grove Fire Department with one of the oldest park districts in the State, the Elk Grove Parks and Recreation District. Becoming the Elk Grove Community Services District (CSD).
The second in 2006, when the Elk Grove CSD merged its fire services with the Galt Fire Protection District and the District and became the Cosumnes Community Services District (CSD).
Today the two fire departments operate as one, serving growing communities with progressive, modern firefighting practices and equipment.
As they have done for more than 100 years, the men and women of the Cosumnes Fire Department maintain their commitment to providing extraordinary service through prevention, preparedness, and emergency response to our community.
To learn more, please view the Cosumnes Fire Department History (PDF).