Surprisingly, most calls the Cosumnes Fire Department responds to are medical calls, including heart attacks, not fires. To encourage a healthy heart, here are some tips.
How to Have a Healthy Heart
Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, here are a few proactive things you can do.
- Find out if you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol. If you do, get effective treatment.
- Be physically activity for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week.
- If you smoke, get help to quit.
- Make your calories count by eating a heart-healthy diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables and low in sodium and trans fat.
Heart Attack Symptoms
It is important to know the symptoms of an impending heart attack. Symptoms may start slowly and may seem mild. According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, these are the symptoms that may mean a heart attack is in progress:
- Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It may feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness, or pain.
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms may include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw, or stomach.
- Other signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea, or feeling lightheaded.
- Shortness of breath may occur with or without chest discomfort.
The Cosumnes Fire Department is committed to our community's health and wellness, please call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.